South Africa

Reshuffle Chronicles: Government says Friday’s shutdown will ‘have consequences for our fragile economy’

By Antoinette Muller 5 April 2017

A message calling for a “national shutdown” has been circulating since the weekend, but the South African government has warned against illegal protest and condemned some of the messages saying they are “sent to bring the image of South Africa into disrepute”. By ANTOINETTE MULLER.

While calls for mass mobilisation in the wake of a President Jacob Zuma’s controversial Cabinet reshuffle continues to grow, the South African government has condemned the calls for “illegal” protests on Friday.

A number of messages calling for such a shutdown on Friday has been circulating since last week. It is not clear where the messages originated from or who exactly is organising them, but the SA government is not impressed.

A message which went viral on social media said:

Do not go to work, or to school or do anything unless you’re taking to the streets in protest.

Block highways, stand with your communities, go to political houses, go to prayer meetings, arrange your own marches. Do whatever you can to make your voice heard.”

A Facebook event was later started which urged people to sign up on the “We Are South Africans” website if they wanted to organise a related protest in their area and to apply for strike permits.

Don’t just go out and protest. You are not allowed to. It is illegal and you are not protected. You need a strike permit. Let us rather co-ordinate this together as South Africans than run around doing our own thing and get jailed for an unprotected strike or any other nonsense they will cook up!”

At the time of writing, over 10,000 people had ticked the “attending” box.

However, in a series of Tweets posted on Monday night it said that these messages “are sent to bring the image of SA into disrepute”.

The calls for action have suggested a complete stay-away this week, but the Tweets from the official government account say that it will be “business as normal” and warned that those who are found guilty will have to go sit in the naughty corner.

The statement read: “Government assures all South Africans that Friday, 7 April, is a normal working day. We have noted social media messages which call for a shutdown of the country on Friday. The call made in these messages can have unexpected consequences especially for our fragile economy, business and communities.

Whilst the public has a democratic right to embark on protest action, government does not support acts of civil disobedience and the actions of a select few to infringe on the constitutional rights of the majority,” said Acting DG, Donald Liphoko.

When citizens take to the streets illegally, we often witness violence, destruction of property and lawlessness.

These illegal protests do not possess the characteristics of strengthening democracy. Those found guilty of any form of violence will face the might of the law. Government is of the view that South Africans can engage each other on differences through meaningful dialogue and through appropriate platforms.

The social media messages are sent to bring the image of SA into disrepute. The social media messages are sent to disturb the economy and to create the impression of disorder and fear in communities.

Civil Society organisations, business and society at large are encouraged to work with government in strengthening our democracy to create a better South Africa.”

National police said on Sunday that they were not aware of protest action set to take place nationally next week over President Jacob Zuma and corruption, according to News24.

News24 also reported that police had “taken note” of the message that has been circulating and said that it would “monitored by the National Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure”. DM

Photo: South African Anglican bishops protest along with several thousand South Africans who marched through the streets of Cape Town in silence as a protest against the high rate of violent crimes in the country, South Africa Thursday 04 May 2006. EPA/NIC BOTHMA

Gallery

Watch Pauli van Wyk’s Cat Play The Piano Here!

No, not really. But now that we have your attention, we wanted to tell you a little bit about what happened at SARS.

Tom Moyane and his cronies bequeathed South Africa with a R48-billion tax shortfall, as of February 2018. It's the only thing that grew under Moyane's tenure... the year before, the hole had been R30.7-billion. And to fund those shortfalls, you know who has to cough up? You - the South African taxpayer.

It was the sterling work of a team of investigative journalists, Scorpio’s Pauli van Wyk and Marianne Thamm along with our great friends at amaBhungane, that caused the SARS capturers to be finally flushed out of the system. Moyane, Makwakwa… the lot of them... gone.

But our job is not yet done. We need more readers to become Maverick Insiders, the friends who will help ensure that many more investigations will come. Contributions go directly towards growing our editorial team and ensuring that Daily Maverick and Scorpio have a sustainable future. We can’t rely on advertising and don't want to restrict access to only those who can afford a paywall subscription. Membership is about more than just contributing financially – it is about how we Defend Truth, together.

So, if you feel so inclined, and would like a way to support the cause, please join our community of Maverick Insiders.... you could view it as the opposite of a sin tax. And if you are already Maverick Insider, tell your mother, call a friend, whisper to your loved one, shout at your boss, write to a stranger, announce it on your social network. The battle for the future of South Africa is on, and you can be part of it.


Comments

Please note you must be a Maverick Insider to comment. Sign up here or if you are already an Insider.

PARLIAMENTARY NOTEBOOK

The House rises ahead of elections in a last sitting marked by tragedy and electioneering

By Marianne Merten

By the time of his death in 1987, Hitler's deputy Rudolph Hess was the sole prisoner in Spandau prison, a facility designed for 600.