Dailymaverick logo

Maverick Earth

PARK INVASION

Fever trees felled, fencing destroyed near iSimangaliso — 52 people arrested

Traffic was halted for several hours on the road between Hluhluwe and Sodwana Bay this week, and at least 52 people were arrested after they hacked down trees. Wildlife fencing was torn down, and larger patches of fever trees were chopped down with chainsaws in the adjoining iSimangaliso Wetland Park.

Tony Carnie
tony fever Law enforcement personnel and officials stand by while the roadblock is cleared away. (Photo: iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority)

Indigenous fever trees covering an area of at least 10 hectares of land, along with millions of rands’ worth of wildlife fencing, have been destroyed in the Ozabeni section of the iSimangaliso Wetland Park and World Heritage Site in KwaZulu-Natal, apparently due to frustration over delays in settling community land claims.

The SA Police Service (SAPS) has confirmed that at least 52 people were arrested in the wake of community protests and a road blockade on the R22 road between Hluhluwe and Sodwana Bay on Wednesday afternoon, 19 August.

Another roadblock was set up in the same area early on Friday, 21 August, but was cleared away by police and other security personnel.

Motorists reported being stuck for up to five hours when several large fever trees were felled on the R22, at a point where the Mkhuze River crosses the road, south of the Mkhuze Game Reserve.

tony fever
Community members at the site of a roadblock on the R22 route between Hluhuwe and Sodwana Bay on 19 August. The blockage of felled fever trees was later cleared by traffic officials, contractors and security personnel. (Photo: iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority)

Wesley Gold, who was driving southwards towards Pietermaritzburg, said the blockade spot – near a river crossing – seemed to have been chosen carefully, making it impossible for vehicles to try and drive around the felled trees.

Gold said he arrived at dusk, just as the blockage was being cleared away, and was escorted pass the remnants of the blockage by police vehicles.

“There were at least 10 large fever trees that had been used to block the road and it was a bit like driving through a series of chicanes, with tree wreckage on both the left and right.”

SAPS spokesperson Colonel Robert Netshiunda confirmed that police had arrested 52 suspects for “trespassing, contravention of a court order, malicious damage to property, assault on police, possession of dangerous weapon and public violence” and were due to appear before Mtubatuba Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

tony fever
Part of a 45km long section of wildlife fencing torn down in the Ozabeni section of the park. (Photo: iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority)
tony fever
One of the extensive sections of fever tree forest chopped down with chainsaws. (Photo: iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority)

‘Well organised’

The iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority said in a press statement on 21 August that it had obtained an urgent interim court order from the High Court more than a month ago to halt the illegal occupation of several sections of the park.

iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority spokesperson Bheki Manzini told Daily Maverick that those arrested this week allegedly contravened the terms of the court order by clearing trees or establishing farming plots in the Ozabeni area and other sections of the park.

Manzini said grievances appeared to stem from dissatisfaction over delays in settling land claims, though other sources in the area noted that the protest action appeared to be well-funded and organised.

“This does not seem to be hungry people spontaneously clearing land to establish farming plots. It is very well organised. Transport has been provided to drop off and collect people from several places, along with the chainsaws and fuel to chop down trees and wildlife fencing. We need national intervention to deal with this, but I don’t know if there is political will,” said a source in the area who did not wish to be identified.

According to iSimangaliso, the court order was granted on 30 June and the arrests were carried out during a joint operation between SAPS and other law enforcement agencies this week.

“iSimangaliso Wetland Park reaffirms its commitment to protecting the integrity of the Park and its status as a protected area and Unesco World Heritage Site. The Park’s position is clear: illegal occupation, trespassing and damage to park infrastructure cannot be condoned and will not be tolerated.

“The cutting of the fence, illegal land invasion, agricultural activities, and other illegal activities prompted iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority to approach leaders from the affected areas with an intention of working together to resolve this problem. Sadly, there has been poor cooperation and the destruction continues.

“As a result iSimangaliso was forced to approach the High Court for urgent relief. To date the damage is estimated to be in excess of 10 hectares of trees cut and land cleared as well as 45 kilometres of park fence vandalised and stolen (this may change as the damage continues).”

Human-wildlife, financial risks

Manzini also warned of the risk of tragedy from human-wildlife conflicts if the damaged boundary fencing was not repaired soon.

“The financial consequences of this matter are substantial. The fencing repairs across the Park associated with illegal fence destruction cost more than R26-million and the stolen fence costs approximately R20-million. These costs represent pressure on state resources that would otherwise support conservation operations, infrastructure maintenance, community-benefit initiatives and employment-related programmes.”

Manzini added: “iSimangaliso wishes to send a warning to the public and especially the local communities not to participate in illegal activities such as land invasion and damaging of infrastructure, as such actions may lead to further arrests. Barricading of roads and disrupting vehicles on the roads in the Park is equally strongly condemned.

“At the same time, iSimangaliso recognises the importance of maintaining constructive relationships with law-abiding neighbouring communities. The Park has made attempts to engage with relevant community leadership structures, and while some attempts have not resulted in the desired engagement, iSimangaliso's doors remain open to peaceful and constructive dialogue.”

Manzini said the park was encouraging communities and other stakeholders with concerns relating to land or other matters to use appropriate and lawful channels to raise those concerns.

“The protection of iSimangaliso is a shared responsibility. We remain committed to conservation, community engagement, the rule of law and finding constructive solutions through lawful processes,” he said.

The order

According to the interim order granted by the KwaZulu-Natal Division of the High Court in Pietermaritzburg, the “Unlawful Occupiers/Invaders of the Ozabeni Section of the iSimangaliso Wetland Park” are interdicted and restrained from entering the park without authority.

They are also prohibited from cutting, burning or clearing land in the park; destroying fences; demarcating sites or erecting any structures. SAPS is also authorised to assist the Sheriff to enforce the order and to “maintain peace and good order”.

None of the respondents are not identified by name in the order, but the court has granted them leave to supplement the court papers if their identities should become known. DM

Subscribe to Maverick Earth
Visit The Sophia Foundation

Comments

Loading your account…

Scroll down to load comments...