Dailymaverick logo

Newsdeck

This article is more than a year old

Newsdeck

J&J has enough support from claimants for $6.5 billion talc settlement - Bloomberg

NEW YORK, Aug 12 (Reuters) - Johnson & Johnson JNJ.N has cleared a key threshold of support for its proposed $6.5 billion settlement of tens of thousands of lawsuits alleging its baby powder and other talc products caused cancer, according to a Bloomberg report.
Bloomberg
Johnsons Baby Powder LONDON,ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 14: This photo illustration shows, a bottle of Johnson's Baby Powder on November 14,2022 in London, England. (Photo by Peter Dazeley/Getty Images)

By Dietrich Knauth

More than 75% of claimants voted in favor of the proposal, according to Bloomberg, a hurdle the company set for a third attempt at placing a subsidiary in bankruptcy protection to resolve the litigation.

J&J spokesperson Clare Boyle said the company could not comment while the vote tally was not final.

Comments

Loading your account…
c***8@g***.com Aug 13, 2024, 02:35 PM

Funny claim: "More than 75% of claimants voted in favor .." whilst "Clare Boyle said the company could not comment while the vote tally was not final". Does it really mean that only 75% has voted so far and the outstanding 25% is also expected to agree?? Are the Dems now also trying to save J&J?