South Africa

GROUNDUP

Fourth Zimbabwean dies after attacks in Limpopo last month

Fourth Zimbabwean dies after attacks in Limpopo last month
The Red Cross and Lawyers for Human Rights provided food for those who had gathered at Njhakanjhaka traditional office on 23 September after the killings. (Photo: Bernard Chiguvare)

Two of the other victims, at first said by police to have been burnt beyond recognition, have now been identified. The third victim is yet to be identified.

The death toll from the violent attacks on immigrants last month in Chavani village outside Elim in Limpopo has risen to four.

Zimbabwe Consul General, Melody Chaurura, said that Tops Mutanho had succumbed to his injuries on 26 September. 

“Mutanho, a male Zimbabwe national from Chivi area village, succumbed to injuries sustained from mob justice after he was said to have been found in possession of stolen copper cables,” said Chaurura.

Two of the other victims, who were at first said by police to have been burnt beyond recognition, have now been identified as Johan Munago and Amon Munago, both from Chivi. The third victim is yet to be identified. More than 200 people fled into the bush after the attacks on 18 September.

Chaurura said the dead had not yet been repatriated because of forensic investigations. Dockets relating to the cases were opened at Waterval police station, but there have been no arrests.

Thomas Shonhai, a relative of the Munago brothers, told Groundup that he had been told by the community that the men were found in possession of stolen solar panels and cables. 

“The angry community beat them until the two led the community to the person who sold them the solar panels. The accused denied stealing the solar panels. During the mix of things, the accused managed to escape, leaving the Munagos in trouble,” said Shonhai.

Shonhai is living from piece jobs and says he cannot afford to repatriate his relatives.

The Zimbabwean consulate says it has offered repatriation to families affected by the violence, but has no budget for repatriation of the dead.

Chaurura said the consulate would keep working with local authorities to ensure the protection of Zimbabwean nationals and provide temporary shelter for the displaced families. She said the consulate had identified 113 Zimbabweans affected by the violence, but some had not been counted as they were still in hiding.

Herman Moyana from the Red Cross said the organisation was waiting for donations to provide food to the displaced families. Psychosocial services had been made available, he said. DM

First published by GroundUp.

Gallery

Comments - Please in order to comment.

Please peer review 3 community comments before your comment can be posted

X

This article is free to read.

Sign up for free or sign in to continue reading.

Unlike our competitors, we don’t force you to pay to read the news but we do need your email address to make your experience better.


Nearly there! Create a password to finish signing up with us:

Please enter your password or get a sign in link if you’ve forgotten

Open Sesame! Thanks for signing up.

We would like our readers to start paying for Daily Maverick...

…but we are not going to force you to. Over 10 million users come to us each month for the news. We have not put it behind a paywall because the truth should not be a luxury.

Instead we ask our readers who can afford to contribute, even a small amount each month, to do so.

If you appreciate it and want to see us keep going then please consider contributing whatever you can.

Support Daily Maverick→
Payment options

Become a Maverick Insider

This could have been a paywall

On another site this would have been a paywall. Maverick Insider keeps our content free for all.

Become an Insider
Elections24 Newsletter Banner

On May 29 2024, South Africans will make their mark in another way.

Get your exclusive, in-depth Election 2024 newsletter curated by Ferial Haffajee delivered straight to your inbox.