First Thing, Daily Maverick's flagship newsletter

Join the 230 000 South Africans who read First Thing newsletter.

We write for you

It’s a public service and we refuse to erect a paywall and force you to pay for truth. Instead, we ask (nicely and often) that those of you who can afford to, become a Maverick Insider and help with whatever you can. In order for truth not to become a thing of the past, we need to keep going.

Currently, 18,000 (or less than 0.3%) of our brave and generous readers are members; which says a lot about their characters and commitment to our country. These people are paying for a free service in order to keep it free for everyone.

They are the true South AfriCANs.(Sorry, we couldn’t help ourselves.)

Support Daily Maverick→
Payment options

'Political' Peng messages banned at Australian Open

Newsdeck

Australian Open

‘Political’ Peng messages banned at Australian Open

epa08146060 Peng Shuai of China reacts during her women's singles first round match against Nao Hibino of Japan at the Australian Open Grand Slam tennis tournament in Melbourne, Australia, 21 January 2020. EPA-EFE/FRANCIS MALASIG
By Reuters
24 Jan 2022 0

MELBOURNE, Jan 23 (Reuters) - Australian Open organisers said the safety of Peng Shuai remains their "primary concern" even as security officials at the Grand Slam forced fans to remove shirts referring to the Chinese former doubles number one.

A video posted on social media on Saturday showed security staff at Melbourne Park confiscating shirts and a banner bearing the slogan: “Where Is Peng Shuai?”

Peng’s well-being became a matter of concern among the global tennis community in November when she appeared to allege that a former Chinese vice premier, Zhang Gaoli, had sexually assaulted her in the past. After that post, she was absent from public view for nearly three weeks.

Last month she said she had never accused anyone of sexually assaulting her, and that a social media post she had made had been misunderstood.

The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) suspended tournaments in China due to what its concerns over Peng’s safety, which the Tour says have not been alleviated by her recent public appearances.

“Under our ticket conditions of entry we don’t allow clothing, banners or signs that are commercial or political,” organisers Tennis Australia said in a statement in response to questions raised about the video.

“Peng Shuai’s safety is our primary concern. We continue to work with the WTA and global tennis community to seek more clarity on her situation and will do everything we can to ensure her wellbeing.”

Former world number one Victoria Azarenka, who is part of the WTA Players Council, said earlier this week that they were yet to hear directly from Peng.

“There hasn’t been that much development in terms of contact with Peng Shuai even though from our side we will continue to make any and all efforts to make sure that she is safe, she feels comfortable,” Azarenka said.

“Hopefully we will get to hear from her personally at some point. I think that’s the goal, the main goal right now.”

World number one Ash Barty said the situation had brought the tennis community together.

“Hopefully it’s not too long until we see her back out here,” the Australian said at Melbourne Park.

By Sudipto Ganguly

(Reporting by Sudipto Ganguly; Editing by Peter Rutherford)

Gallery

Comments - share your knowledge and experience

Please note you must be a Maverick Insider to comment. Sign up here or sign in if you are already an Insider.

Everybody has an opinion but not everyone has the knowledge and the experience to contribute meaningfully to a discussion. That’s what we want from our members. Help us learn with your expertise and insights on articles that we publish. We encourage different, respectful viewpoints to further our understanding of the world. View our comments policy here.

No Comments, yet

Please peer review 3 community comments before your comment can be posted