Nelson Mandela Bay Day Zero: ‘We will run out of water before Christmas’

Nelson Mandela Bay Day Zero: ‘We will run out of water before Christmas’
A homeless man sitting along Park Drive, Eastern Cape, carries a bottle of water. (Photo: Donna van der Watt)

'We are weeks away from the dams running dry, rather than months,' says the expert sent by the National Treasury to help the metro deal with this imminent crisis. 'We are cutting it really fine.' Is anybody listening?

Nelson Mandela Bay metro (NMBM) is hurtling towards the worst-case scenario. With only weeks of water left in the metro’s dams, its Plan B is failing because of delays in the completion of the Nooitgedacht Water Scheme – and yet residents have not reduced their water consumption.

“If it doesn’t rain and consumption is not drastically reduced, we will run out of water before Christmas,” said Dr Gisela Kaiser. Kaiser has been seconded by the National Treasury to Nelson Mandela Bay to try to steer the city through the water crisis.

“We are weeks away from the dams running dry, rather than months … and let me add that I am surprised that not more people are motivated by this. You will not be able to flush your toilets. For months. We will have to use groundwater to flush the sewer system. It will be bad.”

The dams supplying Nelson Mandela Bay also supply the popular summer holiday destinations of Jeffreys Bay, Cape St Francis and St Francis Bay.

“We are about to start a campaign to ask holiday visitors to spend more time in the sea than in the shower.”

The threat of the supply dams failing looms large over the Eastern Cape’s seaside towns, including Gqeberha, which lost millions last year when the beaches were closed while the area was in the grip of the second wave of Covid-19.

The combined levels of the area’s supply dams are just below 12% at the moment.

Kaiser, who was in charge of shepherding Cape Town through its worst drought in history, said individual water consumption in the NMBM remained extremely high – even higher than what it was in Cape Town at the time of the crisis there.

“We need a whole-city response. People must take ownership of the water.”

She said that although the city receives some water from the Orange River through the Nooitgedacht Water Scheme, the metro is not yet in a position to distribute this water to the whole city.

The region had mere weeks of water left if residents did not reduce consumption.

“We cannot rely on rainfall to save us – we don’t know when or how much it will rain.  If the dams run dry before May 2022, much of the metro will have to collect water from water tankers for months, such as happened in late September with an extended water outage,” she said.

Even in the municipal building, Kaiser said, she was the only person who did not flush the toilet unless it was absolutely necessary.

She said the patchy rainfall in the area  –and especially in catchment areas – buys the metro a stay of execution every few weeks, but it now seemed inevitable that the catchment dams would fail soon.

“We are cutting it really fine,” she added.

The emergency plan for Nelson Mandela Bay, which involves increasing the amount of water available from the Nooitgedacht Water Scheme, can only kick in by May because of delays caused when the Amatola Water Board, the national government’s implementing agent, failed to pay the contractor on time and the contract was cancelled.

She said she was optimistic about avoiding a massive break in infrastructure, but added that, given the age of the city’s water pipelines, “nobody is sleeping well”.

The metro’s water scheme also relies on pumps and not gravity as in Cape Town, leading to water problems during load shedding and power outages.

On 4 November, the water in large parts of the metro was shut off because of maintenance work on the NMBM Bulk Water pipeline, allowing teams to replace several valves as well as the welding of a burst pipe.

“I will add this: I was pleasantly surprised by the level of professionalism in the department,” Kaiser said.

“But even in Cape Town we didn’t have enough money to do all the work we wanted to do on water infrastructure.”

Kaiser said that in Cape Town the revenue for water and sanitation was ringfenced, but this was not done in Nelson Mandela Bay. As a result, those in charge of water and infrastructure have much less control over funds for their projects. “It is not the best way to do this,” she said, adding that plans to extend the infrastructure in Nelson Mandela Bay, for example, remained unfunded.

Kaiser said she had seen that Nelson Mandela Bay communities were fatigued “with load shedding, with Covid-19 and now with water restrictions … People are tired.”

It was a pity that the municipality had started a campaign to restrict residents to 50 litres a day three years ago – by now, everybody was tired of hearing it. “People think we were crying wolf.”

When she spoke at schools, she said, she discovered that only about 20% of households have buckets in the shower to collect water to flush the toilet.

What was needed now was an appeal to  people’s better side, Kaiser said.

“I ask my staff not to read the comments on social media. There is so much hatred and misinformation out there.

“It really is not useful to blame others under the circumstances.”

She hoped to produce a plan for the metro that would make it more resilient in future droughts. “We will try not to let this crisis go to waste.”

She added that she did not believe that desalination was a solution: it is very expensive, costing about R40 per kilolitre, whereas municipal water costs R6 per kilolitre.

“It is part of our long-term water plan – but to do it well it will take up to 10 years.”

Kaiser said the time had come for all of the metro’s residents to do the right thing and significantly reduce their water consumption.

Current water consumption per person in the city was 250 litres a day and it must be reduced; businesses must reduce water by 20% and each person by either 20% or 40%, depending on where they lived, she explained.

Kaiser said that if the taps ran dry, and at this stage this is a real possibility, it would affect the entire economy and business confidence, potentially damaging the metro permanently.

She was sceptical that a plan creating water distribution points, once taps had run dry, would work.

“What awaits us is too awful to conceive [of]. I don’t understand why people are not panicking. We need to panic. It will stop life in Nelson Mandela Bay as we know it.” DM168

This story first appeared in our weekly Daily Maverick 168 newspaper which is available for R25 at Pick n Pay, Exclusive Books and airport bookstores. For your nearest stockist, please click here.


Comments - Please in order to comment.

  • Bhekinkosi Madela says:

    Dr Kaizer says,”It really is not useful to blame others under the circumstances.” Okay, doc; I’ll just OBSERVE two things: The failure by Amatola Water Board to pay the contractor on time and the subsequent cancellation of the contract will delay the Nooitgedacht Water Scheme implementation; The City of Cape Town, by comparison, “ringfenced” the funds for water and sanitation infrastructure, unlike in NMB, where the decision makers then have much less control over funds for their projects. No blame game there.
    Incidentally, I am encouraged that the good doctor will, like me, only flush a toilet only when it’s absolutely necessary.

  • Brian Cotter says:

    WHY NO WATER – So the article doesn’t drill down to why the Water Board did not pay in time, Treasury not allocated or just Amatola had no money or poor contract administration. It seems like you need a plan C, D & E to be implemented in parallel and hope one of the plans will come through on schedule. I have also read Treasury hasn’t given Eskom all the planned maintenance money for next year. No water, no electricity to pump any water.

  • Bhekinkosi Madela says:

    The board missed the payment deadline because the legal battles between the ousted chairwoman and Minister Sisulu seemed most important at the time. The honorable minister was fighting to preserve her hard-earned reputation. It’s what any self-respecting minister of Water and Sanitation does. Never mind the portfolio.

  • mike muller says:

    Can NMB just do what’s necessary and put the rest of the country out of our misery.

    Because population and consumption have grown, the supply into city’s existing dams from local rivers will never be enough to guarantee a reliable supply.

    But the city has enough water reserved for them from the Orange River to meet their needs for the next 20 years. They just have to finish the pipeline and treatment works to bring it into town and make it available. And this doesn’t need big bucks, just collect revenue due and the Banks will queue up to lend you the money.

    This saga has been going on for a decade and is getting boring!

  • Dr Know says:

    The electrical infrastructure is so shaky that we have outages in between load shedding, perhaps we can look forward to no water or electricity by Christmas.

  • Fanie Rajesh Ngabiso says:

    @bhekinkosi – facts are not blame.

  • Fanie Rajesh Ngabiso says:

    @bhekinkosi – in your second comment, I do hope you’re being sarcastic …because if not, you are trying to justify “useless”, which really does deserve blame.

Please peer review 3 community comments before your comment can be posted


This article is free to read.

Sign up for free or sign in to continue reading.

Unlike our competitors, we don’t force you to pay to read the news but we do need your email address to make your experience better.

Nearly there! Create a password to finish signing up with us:

Please enter your password or get a sign in link if you’ve forgotten

Open Sesame! Thanks for signing up.

[%% img-description %%]

The Spy Bill: An autocratic roadmap to State Capture 2.0

Join Heidi Swart in conversation with Anton Harber and Marianne Merten as they discuss a concerning push to pass a controversial “Spy Bill” into law by May 2024. Tues 5 Dec at 12pm, live, online and free of charge.

A South African Hero: You

There’s a 99.8% chance that this isn’t for you. Only 0.2% of our readers have responded to this call for action.

Those 0.2% of our readers are our hidden heroes, who are fuelling our work and impacting the lives of every South African in doing so. They’re the people who contribute to keep Daily Maverick free for all, including you.

The equation is quite simple: the more members we have, the more reporting and investigations we can do, and the greater the impact on the country.

Be part of that 0.2%. Be a Maverick. Be a Maverick Insider.

Support Daily Maverick→
Payment options