Newsdeck

Newsdeck

Marriott, BlueCross suspend donations to U.S. lawmakers who voted against Biden certification

Supporters of US President Donald Trump stand by the door to the Senate chambers after they breached the US Capitol security in Washington on 6 January 2021. Protesters stormed the US Capitol where the Electoral College vote certification for President-elect Joe Biden took place. (Photo: EPA-EFE / Jim Lo Scalzo)

WASHINGTON/NEW YORK, Jan 10 (Reuters) - Marriott International Inc, the world's largest hotel company, and the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) said Sunday they will suspend donations to U.S. lawmakers who voted against certifying President-elect Joe Biden's victory last week.

By David Shepardson and Jessica DiNapoli

 

“We have taken the destructive events at the Capitol to undermine a legitimate and fair election into consideration and will be pausing political giving from our Political Action Committee to those who voted against certification of the election,” Marriott spokeswoman Connie Kim said, confirming a report in Popular Information, a political newsletter.

BCBSA, the federation of 36 independent companies that provide health care coverage for one in three Americans, said “in light of this week’s violent, shocking assault on the United States Capitol, and the votes of some members of Congress to subvert the results of November’s election by challenging Electoral College results, BCSBA will suspend contributions to those lawmakers who voted to undermine our democracy.”

Citigroup Inc said in a memo to employees seen by Reuters that it reviewed lawmakers who led the charge against the certification of the Electoral College and found it gave $1,000 to the campaign of Republican Senator Josh Hawley.

“We want you to be assured that we will not support candidates who do not respect the rule of law. We intend to pause our contributions during the quarter as the country goes through the Presidential transition and hopefully emerges from these events stronger and more united,” wrote Candi Wolff, who heads Citi’s global government affairs team.

Other companies, including Ford Motor Co, have made no decisions about changes to giving. (Reporting by David Shepardson in Washington and Jessica DiNapoli in New York; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

Gallery

Comments - Please in order to comment.

  • Kanu Sukha says:

    How charming ! These scoundrels with legal backgrounds…will simply point out they were NOT contesting the RESULTS of the election (Cruz said so in the opening sentence of his remarks) …but that there were 39% of Americans “believing” the election was ‘rigged’ and he wanted to address that issue. He failed to explain whether he was part of that 39% or (I assume) the remaining 61% that thought it not to be fair ! Blinding ambition has no limits to dastardliness.

  • Kanu Sukha says:

    correction : the 61% that thought it WAS fair !
    Regarding the attached picture…could someone advise the young man with the banner reading “Trump is my president” … he should relocate to Orania…and bring Trump with him!

Please peer review 3 community comments before your comment can be posted

A South African Hero: You

There’s a 99.7% chance that this isn’t for you. Only 0.3% of our readers have responded to this call for action.

Those 0.3% of our readers are our hidden heroes, who are fuelling our work and impacting the lives of every South African in doing so. They’re the people who contribute to keep Daily Maverick free for all, including you.

The equation is quite simple: the more members we have, the more reporting and investigations we can do, and the greater the impact on the country.

Be part of that 0.3%. Be a Maverick. Be a Maverick Insider.

Support Daily Maverick→
Payment options

MavericKids vol 3

How can a child learn to read if they don't have a book?

81% of South African children aged 10 can't read for meaning. You can help by pre-ordering a copy of MavericKids.

For every copy sold we will donate a copy to Gift of The Givers for children in need of reading support.