Newsdeck

Assault charges against Mduduzi Manana withdrawn

By News24 7 May 2018

The Sowetan and EWN reported that Manana allegedly tried to push his domestic worker down stairs.

The charges were filed on Sunday evening at the Douglasdale police station. They were withdrawn a few hours later, Gauteng police spokesperson Mathapelo Peters said.

“It is the victim’ prerogative to withdraw the charges,” she said. Peters declined to disclose the woman’s identity.

Last year in September, Manana was convicted of three counts of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm after pleading guilty to the charges.

The charges related to the assault of three women at Cubana in Fourways on August 6, which was filmed and went viral on social media, sparking a national outcry for his arrest.

Manana claimed he was provoked after one of the women called him “isitabane”, a term used derogatively to refer to people in the gay community.

The Randburg Magistrate’s Court ordered Manana to pay a R100 000 fine, or face 12 months in jail.

He was also ordered to complete 500 hours of community service and to complete a rehabilitation programme.

Gallery

Editorial

Age of the Assassin: A man died for his country today – RIP Charl Kinnear

By Daily Maverick

Game publisher Electronic Arts has been voted "The Worst Company in America" two years in a row 2012 and 2013.