Newsdeck

Duduzane Zuma to be prosecuted by Gerrie Nel

By News24 17 October 2017

Centurion - President Jacob Zuma son Duduzane Zuma will be the first person to be hauled before AfriForum's private prosecuting unit, the union announced on Tuesday.

Former NPA prosecutor, Nel who joined the union this year confirmed that papers have been filed to pursue a culpable homicide case against Duduzane. Nel said the victim Phumzile Dube was killed died in February 2014, after Zuma’s Porsche collided with the taxi in which she was travelling.An inquest found that Duduzane was negligent but the NPA declined to prosecute. The family had received only R5000 from the taxi association, and no other compensation.

“The has been no support and no financial compensation for the family whatsoever,” Nel said

Nel said they wanted to make sure everyone is equal before the law. He said he is very proud of the family to allow justice to be served.

“For us it’s equally before the law, there is no selective prosecutions.”

Kallie Kriel from Afriforum said:”Nobody is above the law and not even if your surname is Zuma, or if your father is the president of the country.”The National Prosecuting Agency (NPA) decided on 18 August 2015 not to prosecute Zuma, despite the fact that Magistrate Lalitha Chetty had found during a formal judicial inquest into the death, that there was prima facie evidence that Dube’s death had been caused by Zuma’s negligent actions.

Nel had submitted an application to the NPA on behalf of the Dube family to obtain a nolle prosequi certificate, a formal notice confirming that the a matter would not be pursued by the authority.

He said as soon as Afriforum received the certificate, the process to prosecute Zuma would begin.

“There exist no valid grounds for the NPA to decline to prosecute Zuma, and the Dube’s family deserves that justice is served and that the case is not treated differently as a result of who the perpetrator is,” Nel said. DM

Gallery

Want to watch Richard Poplak’s audition for SA’s Got Talent?

Who doesn’t? Alas, it was removed by the host site for prolific swearing*... Now that we’ve got your attention, we thought we’d take the opportunity to talk to you about the small matter of book burning and freedom of speech.

Since its release, Pieter-Louis Myburgh’s book Gangster State, has sparked numerous fascist-like behavior from certain members of the public (and the State). There have been planned book burnings, disrupted launches and Ace Magashule has openly called him a liar. And just to say thanks, a R10m defamation suit has been lodged against the author.

Pieter-Louis Myburgh is our latest Scorpio Investigative journalist recruit and we’re not going to let him and his crucial book be silenced. When the Cape Town launch was postponed, Maverick Insider stepped in and relocated it to a secure location so that Pieter-Louis’ revelations could be heard by the public. If we’ve learnt one thing over the past ten years it is this: when anyone tries to infringe on our constitutional rights, we have to fight back. Every day, our journalists are uncovering more details and evidence of State Capture and its various reincarnations. The rot is deep and the threats, like this recent one to freedom of speech, are real. You can support the cause by becoming an Insider and help free the speech that can make a difference.

*No video of Richard Poplak auditioning for SA’s Got Talent actually exists. Unless it does and we don’t know about it please send it through.


Comments - share your knowledge and experience

Please note you must be a Maverick Insider to comment. Sign up here or if you are already an Insider.

Our Burning Planet Op-Ed

Adults owe teen climate activists the earth – it’s the least we can do

By Leonie Joubert