Newsdeck

SABC parliamentary inquiry delayed

By News24 9 January 2017

Johannesburg - The Parliamentary inquiry into the fitness of the SABC board to hold office will only resume its work on Friday.

It was expected to kick off on Tuesday, with former public broadcasters’ board chairpersons Ellen Tshabalala and Ben Ngubane testifying.

Inquiry chairperson Vincent Smith confirmed the three-day delay.

“It was postponed to Friday because former SABC board chairperson Ben Ngubane requested an extension to prepare adequately for the inquiry,” Smith told News 24 on Monday.

He confirmed that Tshabalala would also appear before the adhoc committee.

Qualification lie

The disgraced Tshabalala resigned in 2014 following a furore over her qualifications. A parliamentary inquiry found her guilty on two misconduct charges.

The charges related to allegations that she lied about her qualifications to Parliament and that she lied under oath when she said in an affidavit that her qualifications had been stolen during a burglary at her home.

However, Unisa revealed that she had registered for a BCom degree in 1998, and again in 1996, but had failed to obtain the qualification.

During the inquiry in 2016, Tshabalala was fingered for having a hand in the appointment of Hlaudi Motsoeneng as Chief Operating Officer, despite a Public Protector’s report which found that he had lied about his matric certificate, and that he should face a disciplinary inquiry.

Former acting chief executive Phil Molefe told the inquiry that Ngubane had ordered him to approve a R500 000 unlawful salary hike for Motsoeneng in 2011.

When Molefe refused to sign off on the increase, he testified under oath that Motsoeneng told Ngubane: “Chair, I told you that this is not our man, I am going to Pretoria tonight.”

The adhoc committee will be racing against time to submit a final report to Parliament by February 18.

Smith, however, remained confident that they would meet the deadline, despite the delay.

News24

Gallery

Watch Pauli van Wyk’s Cat Play The Piano Here!

No, not really. But now that we have your attention, we wanted to tell you a little bit about what happened at SARS.

Tom Moyane and his cronies bequeathed South Africa with a R48-billion tax shortfall, as of February 2018. It's the only thing that grew under Moyane's tenure... the year before, the hole had been R30.7-billion. And to fund those shortfalls, you know who has to cough up? You - the South African taxpayer.

It was the sterling work of a team of investigative journalists, Scorpio’s Pauli van Wyk and Marianne Thamm along with our great friends at amaBhungane, that caused the SARS capturers to be finally flushed out of the system. Moyane, Makwakwa… the lot of them... gone.

But our job is not yet done. We need more readers to become Maverick Insiders, the friends who will help ensure that many more investigations will come. Contributions go directly towards growing our editorial team and ensuring that Daily Maverick and Scorpio have a sustainable future. We can’t rely on advertising and don't want to restrict access to only those who can afford a paywall subscription. Membership is about more than just contributing financially – it is about how we Defend Truth, together.

So, if you feel so inclined, and would like a way to support the cause, please join our community of Maverick Insiders.... you could view it as the opposite of a sin tax. And if you are already Maverick Insider, tell your mother, call a friend, whisper to your loved one, shout at your boss, write to a stranger, announce it on your social network. The battle for the future of South Africa is on, and you can be part of it.


Comments

Please note you must be a Maverick Insider to comment. Sign up here or if you are already an Insider.

DEADLY FLOODS

Full extent of KZN storm damage still unknown as death toll rises

By Aisha Abdool Karim

Billionaire oil tycoon J Paul Getty had a pay phone in his home so he wouldn't have to pay for guests' calls.