Sharapova withdraws from Qatar Open with arm injury
- Wired World
- 11 Feb 2016 05:05 (South Africa)
Former world number one Maria Sharapova has withdrawn from this month's Qatar Open due to a persistent arm injury, the Russian said on Wednesday in a statement from tournament organizers.
The five-times grand slam champion has been troubled by her left forearm since the start of the year when she pulled out of an Australian Open warm-up tournament in Brisbane.
She was also unable to play for Russia in last week's Fed Cup quarter-final defeat by the Netherlands.
"Unfortunately, I will not be able to play the Qatar Total Open because of my left forearm injury," Sharapova said.
"I would like to wish the tournament and all the great fans in Doha a great week of tennis. I hope to see them next year."
World number one Serena Williams is the top seed for the tournament which begins on Feb. 21.
Reader notice: Our comments service provider, Civil Comments, has stopped operating and will terminate services on 20th Dec 2017. As a result, we will be searching for another platform for our readers. We aim to have this done with the launch of our new site in early 2018 and apologise for the inconvenience.