Give boring news the middle finger.
26 September 2017 21:54 (South Africa)

Second genocide acquittal for lack of evidence

A priest accused of genocide and crimes against humanity during the 1994 Rwandan genocide is the second person acquitted in as many days. The UN-backed International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda ordered the immediate release of Father Hormisdas Nsengimana, who was a priest at a Catholic secondary school during the three months of slaughter that saw about 800,000 Tutsi and moderate Hutus killed. The court said it could not legally conclude that Nsengimana was guilty of any crimes, including the killing of Tutsi priests, a judge and other victims. The prosecution said he helped lead a group of Hutu extremists that planned and participated directly in killings. Nsengimana has been in prison since his arrest in Cameroon in 2002. On Monday an appeals chamber acquitted Protais Zigiranyirazo of genocide and extermination after he was previously sentenced to 20 years. Judges reversed the conviction citing several serious factual and legal errors. Read more: Reuters, The Wall Street Journal

Get overnight news and latest Daily Maverick articles






Do Not Miss