Brawn F1 (almost) taken over by Mercedes

By Daily Maverick Legacy 17 November 2009

It is a story almost too difficult to follow, of changes in ownership, drivers, sponsors and a bit of general madness. We’ll try to untangle it a little: Brawn F1 team was Honda until the end of 2008, when the Japanese carmaker pulled out. Upon takeover, Brawn promptly pulled off a stunning double victory with Jensen Button winning his first title and steering the franchise, with his teammate, Rubens Barichello, to the constructors’ championship  as well. So 2009 was a good year for them, and also not a boring one at corporate level. Mighty Mercedes came in, helped by an Abu Dhabi investment company, to secure 75% of the shares, with the remaining 25% still in the hands of Ross Brawn and his partner, CEO Nick Fry. Now, the games start. Button and Barichello will almost certainly leave. Button is going to team up with Lewis Hamilton at McLaren, the franchise whose full name remains Vodafone – McLaren – Mercedes, and will, until 2015, have their engines supplied by, you guessed it, Mercedes. Ah, yes, and McLaren will buy Mercedes’ 40% shareholding by the end of 2011. All clear now? Read more: BBC Sports


While we have your attention...

An increasingly rare commodity, quality independent journalism costs money - though not nearly as much as its absence.

Every article, every day, is our contribution to Defending Truth in South Africa. If you would like to join us on this mission, you could do much worse than support Daily Maverick's quest by becoming a Maverick Insider.

Click here to become a Maverick Insider and get a closer look at the Truth.

Constitutional Court ruling

Personal, home-based consumption of cannabis is decriminalised

By Nkateko Mabasa