“People are our most important asset” is an often trumpeted soundbite but nowhere more relevant than in a modern media organisation – although we loathe to think of people as just ‘assets’.
Journalism is one of the most highly pressurised industries with many challenges. But also, one that can make a lasting impact on the world. Where some organisations struggle to figure out a purpose, Daily Maverick is consumed by it. (And we’re not afraid of a meme).
In this role, you will directly report to and work closely with the founders (Editor-in-chief and CEO) to implement and scale a world-class talent strategy and culture that is aligned with the purpose of the company.
You will help ensure that we have a thriving, productive and evolving workplace where the team is enabled and supported in working towards our vision by serving the South African public with our journalism.
Enabling a positive culture to thrive by working closely with our senior leadership team will be a vital aspect of your responsibilities. The role will focus on managing/driving activities related to talent management, talent acquisition, employee experience, employee engagement, continuous learning & development, performance management and reward.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Defining and managing our employee experience aligned to our high performing culture
- Designing a culture and values-driven recruitment process and actively recruiting new team members through our current growth phase
- Design and manage an onboarding programme to provide engaging induction to new employees
- Design and manage the performance review process
- Develop a learning philosophy with supporting learning and development initiatives to enable high performing and high growth careers
- Support and drive continuous learning experiences across the organisation
- Manage an employee engagement survey and work with leadership to continuously improve our employee value proposition
- Design and manage an employee wellbeing programme in consultation with our in-house counsellor
- Manage career growth and progression through organisational development and active talent reviews
- Design and manage a recognition programme that embeds performance into our culture
- Work with the leaders to define a competitive reward strategy relating to compensation, benefits, etc
- Own all internal employee communications and write up regular internal newsletters relating to talent
- Support our people operations processes to scale by automating workflows and adopting suitable systems and software
- Work closely with leadership to actively build and manage a strong culture based on our core values and purpose
- Advise on employee best practices in line with new trends in the industry, further afield and with the vision and mission of the organisation
Your role will be critical in scaling the internal systems of a high-growth media organisation. This is a unique opportunity to join Africa’s revolutionary media platform and directly support our management team in key decision-making. The role will likely expand into a team as the organisation prepares for accelerated growth in the next few years.
- At least 8 years of experience in people/talent/HR, employee relations and organisational development, with a demonstrable track record of designing and implementing people processes across a business (or exceptional achievements within fewer years of professional experience);
- 3-5 years of experience in managing and growing a People team
- Thorough knowledge of South African labour legislation, compliance requirements, disciplinary procedures, and HR policies and procedures;
- Strong leadership and people management skills;
- Near-perfect communication skills;
- Highly skilled in problem-solving and negotiations;
- A specific interest to work in a purpose-driven media company, evidenced by prior professional experience or involvement in such a space;
- Extreme ambition to grow a company in terms of culture, employee wellbeing, retention, and satisfaction;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management, Organisational Development or another relevant field, or equivalent education/experience
- Prior experience in a media environment is desirable
- 5+ years of managerial experience in a rapidly scaling company
- Passionate about creating an exceptional employee experience
- Cape Town based
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave: We provide a minimum of 15 annual leave days (with no maximum) as part of our leave policy.
Join the heart of revolutionary media in Africa: You’ll work with the best of the best and collaborate with exceptional people. Join one of the most ambitious and exciting media organisations with a dynamic founding team.
Life-changing work: be part of having a profound impact on society.
Please send a one-page motivational letter and CV to [email protected]