Opinionista Tim Cohen
Lehman and SA, one year on
- Tim Cohen
- 06 Dec 2013 02:00 (South Africa)
We still think that SA was somehow de-linked from the financial crisis that got it's official start exactly one year ago today. That isn't exactly the case, just as we haven't exactly answered all the questions about how the downturn affected – and will affect – South Africa.
The conventional wisdom is that South Africa is distant, somewhat bemused, spectator to the financial maelstrom that began on this day a year ago with the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers, a crisis SA was belatedly
More By Tim Cohen
- A hangover cure for the noughties
- Stop picking on poor Germany
- Analysis: Cargate, from speed-bump to a major pothole on the political highway
- Is SA's gold mining industry turning into Zimbabwe-Lite?
- The pain, the business and The Weekender’s fate
- Reflections on the end of the recession: a ‘brave new world’ awaits – maybe
- The bearable lightness of debating Malema
- Lehman and SA, one year on
- Locked into a three-way marriage of convenience, moving sideways