The News in Five Minutes: South Africa
- Glenda Nevill
- 14 May 2012 08:10 (South Africa)
A round-up of South Africa's news today.
FW DE KLERK SHOULD GIVE BACK PEACE PRIZE
Former president FW de Klerk must take back comments he made in a CNN interview, the Council for the Advancement of the SA Constitution (Casac) said while the National Health and Allied Workers’ Union (Nehawu) has demanded that his Nobel Peace Prize be “retracted”. Casac said in statement it condemned “reckless attempts by former president FW de Klerk to justify and defend the apartheid system”. It said De Klerk “exposed(sic) himself to be an unapologetic proponent of a racist, fascist system that oppressed the majority”. When asked whether he agreed that apartheid was morally repugnant, he said: “In as much as it trampled human rights it was and remains morally indefensible”. But he then denied “that blacks in the homelands were disenfranchised”.
ADVOCATE COMMITS SUICIDE
A Durban advocate, Mvuseni Ngubane, has been found dead at his home in Pinetown, KwaZulu-Natal police said on Sunday. Lieutenant Colonel Vincent Mdunge said Ngubane was found with a gunshot wound to the head on Saturday. He said there was a pistol next to the body and police found a suicide note near his body, Mdunge said. Paramedics declared him dead on the scene. Ngubane handled high-profile cases including that of convicted drug dealer, Cheryl Cwele, the wife of state security minister Siyabonga Cwele. He was a former president of the Black Lawyers' Association and chaired the Law Society of SA.
LAST LEADER OF 1956 MARCH DIES?The last surviving leader of the 1956 women's march on the Union Buildings, Pretoria, has died, the presidency said on Sunday. Reverend Motlalepula Chabaku, who was in her late 70s, died on Friday in Soweto. A deeply spiritual person, she had carried an abiding sense of community and compassion for all people, especially women, the poor and the downtrodden, President Jacob Zuma said. Chabaku was the last surviving leader of the 20,000-strong women's march against apartheid era pass laws. Others were Lillian Ngoyi and Helen Joseph.
TUGGING THE TRAWLER
Attempts to salvage the 50m fishing trawler that ran aground at First Beach, Clifton, resumed on Sunday, the Cape Town disaster risk management centre said. The aim was to balance the fuel load on board, said spokesman Wilfred Solomons-Johannes. The Eihatsu Maru long line-fishing vessel, a Japanese ship, ran aground early on Saturday in thick fog. In total, 90tons of diesel and 50tons of fish were on board the trawler, Solomons-Johannes said. A tugboat was sent from Simons Town to tow the boat on Saturday night, but the towrope snapped as the trawler proved too heavy. Marine engineers would fit a metal plate to the ship to enable it to be tugged. Inflatable barriers had been deployed around the ship to prevent a possible oil spill.
SIFISO ZULU IN JAIL
Convicted Durban businessman Sifiso Zulu handed himself over at the Westville Prison on Saturday to start a three-year sentence for culpable homicide. He was expected to report to prison on Friday, following the KwaZulu-Natal High Court in Pietermaritzburg's dismissal of his appeal last week against his conviction and sentence for a 2008 road accident. The court found that Zulu, driving a BMW X5, had shot a red robot and crashed into a bakkie, killing two members of the Souls Harbour Church and injuring eight others in March 2008.
RAPE WAS A ‘PRANK’
The school at the centre of a scandal surrounding an alleged rape that took place during a high school rugby camping tour has denied that any criminal activity took place during the camping trip. Reports said Edgemead High School described what happened as “a prank”. The story made headlines last week after it was reported that a 16-year-old boy was raped by fellow rugby teammates during an initiation-type incident while on a rugby tour. The school said in a media statement it had not received any proof of criminal actions – despite the boy’s father saying he had shown cellphone photographs of the incident to the school principal.
Public Protector Thuli Madonsela has found the Western Cape government's multimillion-rand communications contract to be "invalid". In her preliminary report, Madonsela said the provincial government should "immediately terminate the further execution" of its contract with TBWA Hunt Lascaris. The contract, signed in 2010, is capped at R70-million a year for two years for "ongoing costs and provides R1.5-million for once-off deliverables". The protector said there were serious weaknesses in the supply-chain management division of the premier's department, saying they had failed to properly keep records of the process, and the appointment to the bid committee of Zille's political and special advisers, Ryan Coetzee and Gavin Davis, was "improper and unlawful".
HELP FOR LIMPOPO FLOOD VICTIMS
Ten families, whose homes were destroyed by floods, are receiving aid and housing from policewomen and the Gift of the Givers, Limpopo police said on Sunday. Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said the families lost everything when their houses were washed away two months ago. They received blankets, clothes and food parcels from the SA Police Service Women's Network on Friday, he said. The Gift of the Givers was building two-roomed Zozo huts for each family and these were expected to be completed by Wednesday, said its spokeswoman, Emily Thomas. Major General Maggie Mathebula said the women's network wanted to restore dignity in human life.
Photo: FW de Klerk. REUTERS.